Workplace Health Promotion Program
Workplace health promotion programs are comprised of a number of programs that can include help with spiritual, psychological and physical health and wellness of a person. The absence of wellness has an adverse effect on an individual’s performance at work which in turn has a negative impact on the companies bottom line.
Now, more than ever people have little time for exercise and wellness-related activities. Who has time to go to the gym or workout seven days a week for 45 minutes or an hour a day? Not many of us. Because of this peoples health and wellness is suffering. Since personal wellness – or the lack thereof has an impact on an employers bottom line you are finding that more and more employers are starting or bolstering their workplace health promotion programs for their employees.
Benefits Of A Workplace Health Promotion
Why you need a workplace health promotion program for you business – from an employer’s perspective:
- Wellness programs reduce absenteeism: Unhealthy employees miss more work than healthy employees. That’s a pretty simple and fully logical statement that anyone with any sense should understand. Why is it that CFO’s and other executives at organizations don’t seem to understand that fact. If you help your employees to remain healthy then they won’t miss work. Decreasing absenteeism will increase productivity and earnings for a company. What other reason do you need for starting and/or improving your wellness program? This reduces their absenteeism considerably and thus, saves thousands of dollars on factors such as temporary employment and downtime.
- Wellness programs improve ‘presenteesim:’ Presenteeism relates to the times where a worker comes to work but fails to work as hard as they normally would due to physical or mental stress, injury or a health concern. Example, coming to work even though you have a stress related migraine. You may be at work, but you won’t be nearly as effective as you would be in the absence of the migraine.
- Wellness programs improve productivity: Unhealthy or unfit employees are unable to perform as well as their healthy counterparts. Logically speaking, an obese person is not going to be able to work as quickly or efficiently on a production line line as their “fit” counterpart. Health does not just refer to physical health, it also relates to mental health. Stress, tension, depression, etc. all have a negative impact on the productivity of an individual. Helping a person deal with those issues can have a big impact on the productivity of an organization.
Some more advantages of workplace health promotion programs are:
- Increase employee and worker morale by creating a supportive and happier work environment
- They can improve job satisfaction among workers and staff
- Workplace health promotion programs can lower health care costs
- Workplace health promotion programs can reduce the effects of stress
Workplace health promotion programs focus on improving the overall health and wellbeing of employees. By doing this employees perform better which increases productivity and earnings within a company. Any sized employer will benefit from starting workplace health promotion programs. If you don’t already have one then “get smart” and start one today. Your companies fiscal health will benefit along with your employees health.