Plan a Smooth Transition to a Tobacco Free Workplace
This implementation plan will guide the rest of your actions. You may want to tie significant events (such as the effective date of the policy) to existing events, such as the Great American Smokeout (November) or the season (if your smokers will need to go outside to comply, begin during a mild season).
The tobacco-free policy implementation plan should include:
- when the policy will be announced (at least four months before the effective date; longer for very large organizations);
- when the policy will become effective;
- events that will be tied to the transition;
- supportive activities for smokers;
- role of contact person listed in policy;
- role of work groups or task forces;
- sufficient time for acquiring appropriate signs to communicate the policy;
- mechanism for allowing employee feedback during the transition period;
- and time to negotiate and work with labor unions, if needed.
< Back to the Guide to a Tobacco-free Workplace