The Five-A-Day Program
5-A-Day for Better Health is a national program to increase the number of servings of fruits and vegetables that Americans eat each day to five or more. The 5-A-Day program promotes simple ways to add additional fruits and vegetables to your daily eating habits.
Why We Need Five-A-Day?
A daily diet high in fruits and vegetables and low in fat and cholesterol, combined with daily exercise, can help fight overweight, obesity, and other related chronic diseases such as cancer, heart disease, and other chronic diseases.
Fruits and vegetables provide essential vitamins and minerals, fiber, and other substances that are important for good health. Most fruits and vegetables are naturally low in fat and calories. Additionally, they are high in fiber, which is filling.
Eat 5 to 9 Colorful Fruits and Vegetables Every Day
For everyone, 5-A-Day is an essential daily dietary practice for a healthier life. Research has demonstrated the unique disease-prevention capacity and long-term health benefits of consuming a colorful variety of fruits and vegetables every day.
Eating five to nine servings of colorful fruits and vegetables daily is essential for optimum health. It’s important to eat from all color groups (red, yellow/orange, white, green, and blue/purple) to get the full health-promoting benefits of fruits and vegetables.
For more information, go to http://www.fruitsandveggiesmatter.gov/
Fruit and Veggie Resources
- Guide to Buying Vegetables
- Fruits and Veggies: Nutrition Facts
- Actions Parents Can Take At Home
- Healthy Challenge
- Parents and Children 5-A-Day Contract
- My Pyramid – Daily Recommendations
- My Pyramid – Worksheets
- 5 A Day for Young Children Up to 2 Years
- Reasons to Eat 5-9 Vegetables and Fruits
- 5 Days of DASH
- Energizing Tips For A Healthier Family
- Fast Way to 5 A Day
- Get Ready, Get Active
- How Much Water Do You Need?
- Fruits and Veggies – Quick Tips
- Shopping Smart
- Vitamin Information – A, C and Fiber
- Vitamin Information – Vitamin A
- Vitamin Information – Vitamin C
5 A Day Nutrition Program Tool Kit
5 A Day for Better Health is a national program and partnership that seeks to increase the number of daily servings of fruits and vegetables Americans eat to five or more. The 5 A Day program provides easy ways to add more fruits and vegetables into your daily eating patterns.
- It’s Fun to Eat Vegetables and Fruits- Lesson Plan for Preschoolers
- A is for Apple – Lesson Plan for Preschoolers
- 5 A Day the Color Way – Lesson Plan for Adults
- 5 A Day Activities
- Coloring Sheets
- Recipe Booklet
- 5 A Day Olympics
- Book List
- Web Sites
- Handout English/Spanish
Give me 5 A day!
Give me 5 A Day is a 27-page children’s book emphasizing the importance of eating vegetables and fruits while also promoting physical activity, reading and counting. The book is geared for preschoolers to 1st graders.
5-A-Day Checklist Cards
These Checklist Cards are a great way to help you promote the 5 A Day message to everyone you know. The cards are formatted and can be downloaded for printing
- Family – English | Spanish
- School – English | Spanish
- Community – English | Spanish
- Worksite – English | Spanish
5 A Day Nutrition Program Tool Kit: Source
The 5-a-day nutrition program resources and tool kit found here were graciously provided by the National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, and the Florida Department of Health’s Fruits and Vegetables Program, in conjunction with County Health Departments and the Florida Partnership to Promote Physical Activity and Healthful Nutrition, promote Fruits and Vegetables.