Free Weight Management Program
The Ship Shape weight management program was developed by the United States Navy to increase the number of personnel which lead a healthy lifestyle and maintain a healthy body weight. The course is an action-oriented weight management program focusing on nutrition education, increasing exercise, and behavior modifications skills that support a healthy lifestyle.
All the materials needed to learn and / or facilitate the program are included below for your reference. Our thanks to the US Navy for these great resources!
Weight Management Program Materials
- Instructors Guide
- Updated Facilitator’s Guide
- Students Manual
- PowerPoint Presentations
- Lesson 1 – Program Overview – Introduction to program
- Lesson 2 – Guidelines for Success – This session focuses on the importance of setting healthy, realistic short- and long-term goals. Weight management nutrition guidelines are included in this session. Increasing physical activity is introduced.
- Lesson 3 – Nutrition Facts and Fallacies – Diet fads and weight loss supplements are discussed. Participants design a healthy eating plan that fits their needs. Exercise is introduced.
- Lesson 4 – Move Your Body – The importance of exercise and weight management is discussed. Tips to motivate and handle obstacles to exercise are included in this session.
- Lesson 5 – Making Healthy Choices – The focus is on strategies for fitting healthful eating habits into a busy lifestyle. Topics include: ingredient substitutions, recipe modification, and tips for shopping and eating out.
- Lesson 6 – Building Your Support Team & Listening to Your Body’s Language – Participants are assisted in identifying their supporters, how to ask for support, how to handle non-support, and the importance of body image and self-esteem. The Concept of “Conscious Eating” is introduced as a tool in satisfying physical hunger
- Lesson 7 – Stress Management and Emotional Eating – The focus is on emotional eating and the techniques that can be used to break the chains of emotional eating. This session also focuses on identifying sources and signs of stress and stress management tools to replace using food as a stress reliever.
- Lesson 8 – Long-term Success – Participants are given tips for continued weight loss and weight maintenance.
Brochure, Posters, etc.
- Ship Shape Weight Management Program Brochure
- Preparing for the Ship Shape Weight Management Program
- Making Healthy Choices Poster
- My Pyramid Animation